Nothing says summer like a good salad. But sometimes you live with men who like some substance on their salad. I found the perfect combination of boy meets girl in this steak salad. Real Simple August issue is packed with some great salad recipes this month. This is one of the first of many that I will be making this week! I have had a salad similar to this at a steak place in Seattle….I am blanking on the name now. Just know that with this salad you can control the calories by how much bacon and dressing you put on the salad. Sometimes, just having a hint is all that is needed.
The three of us without a palate of a baby loved this salad…..the middle son had a bowl of cereal and the youngest just ate some steak. The point was, we all ate at the same time and at the same table….which is huge considering how busy we are. I am happiest when we are all together laughing and sharing our day together. If only you knew what we talked about at dinner!
Steak Salad with Bacon, Crispy Potatoes, And Blue Cheese Dressing
- 4 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tsp. oil
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup sour cream (we used low fat)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 green onion, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp and drain on a paper towel.
- Add the potatoes to the bacon drippings and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Meanwhile, grill the steak with seasoning until it is cooked to your desired doneness. Let rest a few minutes before serving.
- For the dressing, combine the sour cream, buttermilk, vinegar, green onion and 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper. (we left the blue cheese out of the dressing and simply put it on top of the salads for those who liked blue cheese)
- Place lettuce on each plate and top with steak, bacon, potatoes and drizzle with dressing….and if you like blue cheese, blue cheese crumbles.
To Joyful, Simplified Living,
MS. Simplicity, also known as Melissa Schmalenberger operates her business as I Did it with MS. Simplicity. She is a Professional Organizer based out of Fargo, ND and her website can be found at http://www.ididit-fargo.com/.
• Interested in starting your own Professional Organizing business, visit http://www.mssimplicity.com/ to learn about how Melissa can help you!
• Need to contact MS. Simplicity privately, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• MS. Simplicity offers monthly classes, click here to find out the latest offerings!
• For daily organizing tips find the MS. Simplicity fan page here.