If I can make something in my slow cooker and not have to worry about it and it tastes great, it is a home run.Â This my friends is a home run!Â I love sweet potatoes and their health benefits.Â What I don’t like is the stick of butter, cups of brown sugar and cups of marshmallow…..well I do like it from a taste perspective but not from a health perspective.Â When I saw the ingredient list, I thought to myself that it could work.Â I didn’t hold out much hope however.Â But the addition of the applesauce gives it some sweetness, and the limited amounts of the brown sugar and butter give you the taste of decadence without all the calories of a traditional sweet potato casserole.
This cookbook is in the area of a putting together menu ideas and other party planning ideas.Â Most of the recipes are easy to follow and easy to make.Â Ingredient lists are not full of odd things and most can be found at a small town grocery store.Â The cookbook has many full colored pictures, which you know I love.
The Ruling:Â This is a keeper.Â It will go in my Thanksgiving recipe file.Â Nice flavor, easy to mix and easy to forget in the slow cooker.Â I love that you use fresh sweet potatoes (or yams) and not the vacuum sealed ones in syrup.Â I just feel a little better knowing that the sweet potato is not loaded with preservatives.Â Everyone ate it….and everyone enjoyed it!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes, page 172
- 6 medium sweet potatoes or yams (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted
- Place sweet potatoes in 2 to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker.Â Mix remaining ingredients except nuts; spoon over potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are very tender.
- Meanwhile, cook nuts in ungreased heavy skillet over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browning begins, then stirring constantly until golden brown and fragrant; set aside.Â Sprinkle nuts over sweet potatoes.
To Joyful, Simplified Living,
MS. Simplicity, also known as Melissa SchmalenbergerÂ operates her business as I Did it with MS. Simplicity.Â She is a Professional Organizer based out of Fargo, ND and her website can be found at www.ididit-fargo.com .Â Need to contact MS. Simplicity privately, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.Â For daily organizing tips find the MS. Simplicity fan pageÂ here.
If you try any of my suggestions, I would love to hear from you.Â It helps me to understand what my readers want me to write about and what they think is a waste of their timeâ€¦.thanks for taking the time to help me out.