I love giving talks to moms groups as I feel like I have been there done that.Â I had three babies (pictured above)Â in 5 1/2 years and the fact that I came through the experience only partially damaged has a lot to say about how great my husband is! Today I was able to visitÂ my MOPS group that I was a member of over 9 years ago…..where did the time go?Â Today instead of having baby spit up on my shoulder, I was the presenter to this fine group of women.Â I promised them I would share my outline as they were busy taking notes during my talk.
Here are some sanity savers that I have found over the years.
1. Set a Timer:
- Do 3 bursts of 5 minutes each and you will get it done so much faster.
- Set the timer for yourself and tell the kids that they cannot bother you until they hear the timer go offâ€¦this allows you to make dinnerâ€¦.take a napâ€¦.read a bookâ€¦.catch up on work, etc.
2. Lazy Susan:
- This is a great place to put all the first aid and daily medications on.
- Use for those hard to reach areas for items you donâ€™t want kids to get into.
3. Good Calendar:
- Keep track of milestones
- Keep track of play dates
- Keep track of when last appointments wereâ€¦..eyesâ€¦.yearly checkup, etc.
4. â€œTear to your eyeâ€ test:
- If your childâ€™s paper â€œbrings a tear to your eyeâ€, then keep it, if not toss it.
- When tossing childrenâ€™s items please use black garbage bags so that a wondering eye doesnâ€™t spy anything.
5. One in one out:
- This counts for toys and clothes.
- The 80/20 Rule â€“ you use 20% of your stuff 80% of the time.
- Have kids help you go through their toys.
- Go through them before Christmas and pick out ones for Santa to take back up to the North Pole to fix and give out to other boys and girls next year.
6. If you are marriedâ€¦.make time for your spouse:
- Your kids need to know that you make time for each other.
7. Family meal time:
- If you are not having family meal time 4 nights a week you or your children are probably over scheduled.
- Studies show the importance of family meal time and keeping kids out of trouble.
- …..a basket where the items for getting ready in the morning are placedâ€¦.hair combing and teeth brushing
- …..a basket where seasonal books are placed
- ……a basket where rotating toys are placed
- ……a basket that is assigned to each child for when you place an item in it, it is up to them to put it away where it goes
- Laundry baskets in each childâ€™s bedroom and when it is laundry day, go around and collect each basketâ€¦.or each child has a day where their laundry gets done
- …..erand basket
- …..a donation basket
- ……a first aid basket so that even the smallest members of the family can grab it when the time comes
9. Sharpie markers:
- Label the back of puzzle pieces so you know what piece goes with each puzzle.
- Label the tags of clothes.
10. Label makerâ€¦.help with pre reading to place stickers.
To Joyful, Simplified Living,
MS. Simplicity, also known as Melissa SchmalenbergerÂ operates her business as I Did it with MS. Simplicity.Â She is a Professional Organizer based out of Fargo, ND and her website can be found at www.ididit-fargo.com .Â Need to contact MS. Simplicity privately, you can email her at email@example.com. For daily organizing tips find the MS. Simplicity fan page here.