As a professional organizer I am often asked what are my favorite tools to help my family and my clients stay better organized.Â Wooden hangers have got to be the one item that you can do to a closet that will make the most difference.Â Simply putting all of your clothes on wooden hangers instead of mismatched plastic ones turns your closet from drab to fab.Â Now when I walk into my closet it is like going into a store, rather than a rats nest of clothes.
Â Why wooden hangers are beneficial:
- Your clothes hang better from them.Â They are more substantial to hold your clothes and to help your clothes keep their shape.
- They areÂ wider, so you can fit less hangers in your closet.Â Less hangers means less clothes.
- You want to put only really nice clothes on them.Â You then are more willing to part with clothes that are dingyÂ or full of holes.
How to transition from plastic hangers to wooden hangers:
- As you wear something, put it back in your closet on the new wooden hanger.
- After a period of time (for some people this is two months, for other people it is one year in order to go through all the seasons) donate all of the clothes that are left on the old hangers.Â Only keep the clothes in your closet that are on the new wooden hangers.Â
To Joyful, Simplified Living,