Yesterday was “Small Business Saturday”;Â I like the sound of that better than Black Friday or Cyber Monday.Â Did you hear the buzz yesterday about this?Â I love the conceptÂ of shopping local at your mom and pop stores.Â The idea is becoming more mainstream as organizations like the 3/50Â Project get more and more press coverage.Â The ideaÂ behind 3/50 is simple; find 3 brick and mortar stores and spend $50 a month in them.Â These could be local candy shops, gift stores, clothing stores or even restaurants.
This is the statistic that sold me….did you know that if you spendÂ $100Â at a local brick and mortar store, $68Â goes back into the local economy through taxes, payroll and other expenses.Â Spend $100 at a local chain only $43 goes back into your local economy.Â Buy online and $0 goes back to your town.Â
So this year when you are doing your holiday shopping, stop at some local stores and spend someÂ money.Â Want a few other reasons to shop local:
- I personally think that I get better customer service.Â The stores remember me and when I come backÂ and say things like, “Melissa, we got those dog bones back in that you were looking for”.
- You are often offered a cup of coffee orÂ tea.Â This allows you to take some time to relax and enjoy your shopping.Â I bet you didn’t know that shopping could be relaxing!
- There are never long lines and crowds.Â No Black Friday rush at these stores.Â No long lines at the register either.
- They find local artists and sell their wares as well.
- You find unique gifts that will make every person on your list smile.
So as you spend you hard earned dollars, think about the impact it will make in your community.Â You have control over which stores get your money.
To Joyful, Simplified Living,